Wednesday 16 February 2011

Knitting Pattern - The Quest for Cake Treats!

I love cake - alas I have a gluten and wheat intolerance, but I do LOVE cake when I can have it. One thing I haven't mastered making gluten free is doughnuts - I haven't eaten a doughnut for about 5 years now, and I won't be able to eat a proper scrumptious doughnut ever again...

This made me feel quite depressed - and want it even more! So to combat these cravings I decided to knit myself some forever doughnuts to cheer me up when I get the craving to eat one:

  
This time I went for delicious pink and purple icing, and added my own bead sprinkles. I'm feeling generous so I will share my recipe to knit these lovelies with you - and they are REALLY easy!

You will need:
1 x  pair of 4mm needles
1 x large eye needle
Small amount of beige / light brown DK yarn (under 25g)
Small amount of yarn for frosting (I've gone for pinks / purples but it's your doughnut!)
Small amount of stuffing (or scrap fabric / yarn to stuff the doughnut with)


Pattern:

Doughnut
CO 20 stitches
Row 1: knit all stitches
Row 2: purl all stitches
Continue in stocking stitch for 8 inches ending on a purl rowCast off knit wise leaving a long tail
Stitch up the short edges to form a ring shape Using the long tail, stitch up the long side into a doughnut shape leaving a 2" gap
Stuff the doughnut with the stuffing, then sew up the gap

Icing
CO 8 stitches
Knit all rows until it measures 8 inches and cast off
Stitch short edges together to form a ring
Stitch icing to top of doughnut covering seam where the stuffing gap was stitched up


Add embellishments as desired!


A perfect way to use up left over yarn from other projects too. They make great little gifts, pin cushions or display items.


Debs

2 comments: